Stress in your life maybe the main reason for preventing your efforts to lose weight. The biggest reason for this is that many people turn to food for their comfort blanket when they are under stress. The extra eating really does nothing to reduce stress and it usually will make them feel worst about themselves for eating.
Most people who struggle with easy weight loss have lost their ability to recognize when they are hungry or full which leads them to eat more when they feel stressed, bored, or pressured socially.
The real truth is that stress and excess fat storage go hand in hand. Stress usually triggers eating. When you are under a lot of stress, your body releases a hormone from the adrenal glands called cortisol. Unfortunately, weight gain, typically as excess belly fat happens when there is an over secretion of cortisol.
Cortisol significantly increases our appetite to make sure our bodies are well nourished after a stressful situation. In our society today, it is usually a number of stressful event that contribute to our stressful life. This stress often leads to higher levels of cortisol in the blood stream which causes the body to have a constant feeling of hunger and craving for food.
If you are under prolonged stress, you could be at a high risk for excess weight gain. Researchers have identified that an over-secretion of cortisol can cause excess weight gain by slowing the body’s metabolism, promotes belly fat storage, and craving something to eat.
It is very important that you practice techniques that can keep cortisol levels low. Here are some ways to reduce stress in your life and suppressing weight gain.
- Regular cardiovascular workouts
- Simply inhale thru your nose for a count of four while your belly rises and exhale for a count of four while you belly flatten.
- Drink green tea to provide a natural anxiety relief by triggering the release of the amino acid L-theanine.
- Reduce the intake of refined flours and sugars to lower cortisol levels that contributes to weight gain.
- Engage in meditation which is one of the most effective techniques to reduce stress levels.
- Find a way to relax, relax, relax…
Why Reducing Stress Helps You To Lose Weight